Our first meeting was May 26th. We had six sisters in attendance. We spoke about the purpose of the book club and what everyone would enjoy reading. It was decided we would all read Locomotion by Jacqueline Woodson, which is a very quick read. Please feel free to post your thoughts when you finish Locomotion. If you need a copy, please see Laura or Christy. If you were not at the first meeting, that's okay. We would love to have you join us for our next meeting on June 28th at 12:00 at Sister Crafton's. We will be having lunch together as well. If you can't make it to our meetings, feel free to join us here. Happy reading!
I had read Locomotion a couple of years ago but enjoyed reading it just as much the second time around. I like how the author portrays the chararacter entirely through poetry. I love the fact that a teacher teaches Lonnie how to vent through poetry. Stories like this make me remember how blessed I was as a child and how great the community we live in is. I like how it ended with hope for Lonnie's future with his sister. Great quick read!
ReplyDeleteFinished reading the book this past week. My heart broke for Locomotion. He symbolized all little people who are dealing with grown-up situations that they can not control... I thought that the idea of poem writing is a delightful way to get through to the really deep feelings that one might be having with out saying you just write in your journal.
ReplyDelete